Monday, October 01, 2007

It's Our Country - And, We Are A Christian Nation


Yesterday, we reported on how a school in Oak Lawn, Illinois had decided to cancel Christmas celebrations out of fear that it would offend Muslims.

Today, Pamela at Atlas Shrugs is reporting that parents from the school are taking some hide out of the administrators butts over their ridiculous, Scrooge-like decision:


Forum (Daily Southtown) Daily Southtown (local paper) hat tip DaveSeptember 29, 2007
-------------------------------------------
Let me remind the good folks at the Oak Lawn school district as well as our Muslim friends that this is America that you are living in, land of the free.


You are free to send your children to a private school. If we are not supposed to celebrate our Christian values then how can you force us to learn about Muslim values? How can you deny your children the fun of Santa showing up at school or dressing up for Halloween. By the way, what does Halloween have to do with being Muslim or Christian? It's just another group trying to mold America into what they think America should be.

You miss the point. America is a delicate blend of cultures seasoned with love and acceptance. If you add too much salt, you ruin the stew. Leave the pot alone, or cook in a different kitchen!
As for pork and jello being served at school lunches, can you just send a lunch to school with your child?


We are a low income family, (but) I do not accept free lunches for my child; I brown-bag her lunches every day. I am in control of what she puts into her body. I understand that it is against the Muslim faith to eat pork, but it is not against my religion nor the majority of the other children sharing the classrooms. So again, should the American people just change our thought and belief system because a few people demand that we do? I don't think so.

Dave Hoffman
Hometown
--------------------------------------------
American values


Let me start out by saying I'm an American who has lived 44 of my 55 years here in School District 122 in Oak Lawn. I am not writing this to start turmoil but to express my personal views which I believe a majority of people in this district also believe.

I was brought up in America, which was built on Christian morals and freedom of choice. You didn't have to belong to any special religion or organizations. No one tried to force their beliefs upon you. We all had our own beliefs and enjoyed them.

For the most part, we all celebrated holidays with no one being forced to participate if you chose not to. If you wanted more religion or had extra needs, you could send your children to parochial or other private schools. My children have gone to both public and private schools.
Until about five years ago, we enjoyed our American freedoms. Now we must change our lunch programs, our holidays, and our methods of teaching.


Classes are held back because numerous students don't speak English. Much time is spent trying to keep them well-informed. Speaking and understanding English is part of being an American. This should be the priority before their education starts. Holding back the other children while you try to teach those who can't understand just robs our children of their education.

As far as changing food, why? When my children went to school, I told them what to eat or not eat. In our situation, it was no meat on Fridays. This meant my children had cheese pizza or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I didn't go in screaming at the school board "no meat on Fridays" because we all had rights, and everyone had a choice.

Now a selected few have decided everything should be their way and only their way. The school seems to be caving in to these selected few and leaving the rest of us on the outside looking in. The idea of coming to America is for a new life with all the freedoms we have enjoyed. This is what makes the new and better life for their families.

We all have beliefs and family traditions. Some are shared, and some stay in the privacy of our homes. We don't force our ideals on anyone who doesn't want to be involved. That's because up until now, we all had the choice!

Let's stop these selected few who have come to District 122 and are determined to destroy the great system I have observed for more than 40 years. If you take away the freedom our forefathers won for us, that certainly is not American or fair. I'm for change as much as the next guy, but change comes from agreeing on issues that don't take away our freedoms.
I think it's time for the newcomers to realize America is freedom. Our freedoms happen to be enjoying our holidays, eating our foods and getting a good education in the manner it was meant to be taught.


Patrick Flanigan
Oak Lawn


In a related story, John McCain states what ought to be the obvious, America is a Christian nation:


Has the candidates’ personal faith become too big an issue in the presidential race?

Questions about that are very legitimate.... And it's also appropriate for me at certain points in the conversation to say, look, that's sort of a private matter between me and my Creator.... But I think the number one issue people should make [in the] selection of the President of the United States is, 'Will this person carry on in the Judeo Christian principled tradition that has made this nation the greatest experiment in the history of mankind?'"

It doesn't seem like a Muslim candidate would do very well, according to that standard.

I admire the Islam. There's a lot of good principles in it. I think one of the great tragedies of the 21st century is that these forces of evil have perverted what's basically an honorable religion. But, no, I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles.... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith. But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president. I don't say that we would rule out under any circumstances someone of a different faith. I just would--I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead.


Keep pushing, Islamofascists. Go ahead, keep pushing. It will be funny to watch your shocked faces the day America wakes up.

No comments: