Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Winds of War: You’re Community Has been Hit With a WMD Attack – Now What?

I had dinner the other night with friends and their friends. At the dinner was a hospital administrator that just came back from a seminar that taught medical first responders how to handle a terrorist WMD attack.

I sat nicely and listened how medical personnel would handle the triage process of separating those that were infected or radiated from those that were not. I listened to how obedient citizens would stand in line in the area waiting to be cleared or brought to a segmented holding hospital away from non-infected citizens. The process described was orderly.

I said bull cookies!

The first thing I would do is vacate the area before the authorities came in. I said I was not about to wait around an infected or radiated area or downwind of one while I turn my life over to the authorities. My wife, a medical professional, said that was very selfish of me to willfully leave the area and expose other people. I said how do you know I would be infected or radiated? She said how do you know you weren’t? I said I’ll make that decision myself and when I leave you’re coming with me.

Selfish of me.

The reality of the situation is that my reaction and many others like me would be normal and a new movie entitled Right At Your Door explores that scenario.

Read the rest at The Gathering Storm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Individual actions would be unpredictable, and chaotic It would not be "orderly" in any sense of the word. We are not pre-programmed for this sort of thing.

p.s.... in the heading, it's "your" not "you're"