Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So much for God Wills It -Belgium's dwindling churches to be converted into mosques

Churches in Belgium are to be turned into mosques as Christian congregations decline while Muslims demand more places to worship.

Philip Heylen, Antwerp's deputy mayor, has called on the city to "break the taboo" over the many empty and unused churches.

"It's a looming issue yet it seems impossible to have a debate about this," he said. "Churches were built as places of worship and they should not be used as shopping malls. We've had a positive response from members of the Muslim community, which is open to the idea of converting them."

Antwerp has 36 mosques but many are located in old buildings that are too small or lack emergency exits. Meanwhile, the building of new mosques is sensitive in terms of planning.

However, some Antwerp Muslims fear that the scheme could heighten ethnic and religious tensions. "This is dangerous and will only lead to resentment," said one. "It's better to keep places of worship strictly separate."

Many of Antwerp's 80 churches were built in the mid-19th century during attempts by the Roman Catholic Church to engineer a religious revival.

Father Jan, at the Sint-Willibrordus Church, conceded that the pews are "far emptier than 50 years ago", but rejected the argument that Antwerp Christians are a dying breed.

No beliefs and no children.

Turn out the lights, the party's over, Vlaams Belang is just rearranging deck chairs on the you know what

10 comments:

Damien said...

Eurabia is coming if it is not already here. This should serve as a warning to us all.

Damien said...

BabbaZee,

Is this the site your were trying to link to?
babbazeesbrain

Click on the link and tell me if it isn't.

Damien said...

BabbaZee,

by the way, who is the VB?

Pastorius said...

VB is Vlaams Belang. They are an Ethnic Nationalist (racist) party in Belgium.

Damien said...

Pastorius,

Thanks for letting me know, I won't support VB.

Pastorius said...

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

BabbaZee said...

Hi Damien and Pastorius

Yes Damien that is my site
and the VB is what Pastorius said

Pastorius said...

And, by the way, Damien, BabbaZee's blog is one of the best on the net.

:)

Pastorius said...

Other good blogs include:

Little Green Footballs
Gateway Pundit
Atlas Shrugs
Hot Air
Astute Bloggers
Up Pompeii
Western Resistance
Jihad Watch
American Thinker
Melanie Phillips

BabbaZee said...

Pastorius

I am blushing now
that was very nice of you to say

This stuff is work!

I intend to expand and improve it
I am working on it now

(I WILL get off Blogger,
I WILL getoff Blogger!
I think I can... I think I can!)

choo choo!
LOL!

BZ