Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Jefferson

Grabbing this one from Christian Soldier's Ramparts


In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
'To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thank you for helping 'found' this great Republic-Mr Jefferson...
C-CS


2 comments:

christian soldier said...

MR-thank you for 'snatching' the Jefferson quotes..I just asked my off-spring how you individualized each quote w/ red or blue...
This technology is excitingly never ending!
BTW-thank you for the encouraging words as to my blog...
Now-if you don't mind--I'm going to 'swipe' the Paulk poem -illustration and all :-)
C-CS

midnight rider said...

C-CS -- I just sent you some info at your email on your web page.