Monday, January 21, 2013

Golfer Phil Mickelson Speaks of Going Galt?

From CBS Sports:

Is Phil Mickelson thinking about calling it quits? (GettyImages)

Phil Mickelson says changes are coming because of taxes and how they affect his family. Is Lefty considering retiring? He won't turn 43 until June.
Scott Michaux first reported that Mickelson said he was considering retirement after his final round Sunday at the Humana Challenge.
You should read his entire transcript. I've picked out a few of the more interesting quotes below.
Q: When you're asked about Stricker's semi-retirement, with the political situation the last couple months ... what did you mean by that? Do you find it an unsettling time in a way?
Phil Mickelson:
Well, it's been an interesting offseason. And I'm going to have to make some drastic changes. I'm not going to jump the gun and do it right away, but I will be making some drastic changes.
Q: Meaning leaving from California?
Mickelson:
I'm not sure.
Q. Moving to Canada?
Mickelson:
I'm not sure what exactly, you know, I'm going to do yet. I'll probably talk about it more in depth next week. I'm not going to jump the gun, but there are going to be some. There are going to be some drastic changes for me because I happen to be in that zone that has been targeted both federally and by the state and, you know, it doesn't work for me right now. So I'm going to have to make some changes.
Q: So why do you say next week? What is going to happen so drastic next week?
Mickelson:
No, but I'll probably be in the media center and I'll probably be a little more open to it because San Diego is where a lot more things, it's where I live, it's where the Padre thing was a possibility, and it's where my family is. And it just seems like a better fit than right here off of 18 on Palm Springs.
Q: Is it a stance that you are taking because on the one hand, you've made a lot of money, and no matter how much they take out, you are left with a lot of money?
Mickelson:
Yeah. I'll probably go into it more next year or next week. But if you add up, if you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the Social Security and the state, my tax rate's 62, 63 percent. So I've got to make some decisions on what I'm going to do.

No comments: