Monday, August 24, 2009

A Comment From A Friend of Mine Who Has Seen Inglorious Basterds

My friend Sonic Charmer sent this comment over to me in an email a little earlier today. I thought I'd post it in light of all the other commentary thus far. (I was going to see it tonight, but I cracked a tooth, and I'm not in a very good mood right now):

I think we had talked briefly about Inglorious Basterds and that you were looking forward to see it.  (more so than I, in fact) 
Do.  It is fucking awesome.  I think you will like it (if you haven't already seen it of course).  
Actually I was almost crying at the end (not really but there was welling).  It was mind-blowing.  
I had this, like, 68 year old Jewish couple sitting next to me.  In fact, the theater was packed with older gray-haired couples.  And this old dude, who was hacking up phlegm half the movie, he and his wife were cheering and going "woo yeah!" at the climactic Nazi-blowing-up scene.  
Just unbelievable.  Quentin Tarantino did that.   I don't even know what else to say about it.  
To me the only way to illustrate it is that it's like Tarantino's "Star Wars".  That's the vibe I got from it.  I can't even explain why except in little tidbits (like, Star Wars rewrote history too, in a sense; Tarantino's bad-guy entries are reminiscent of Darth Vader, etc).  But it's also obviously got bits and chunks of every other cool movie.   
I just wanted to get on the record as seeing a Star Wars connection.  You know, in case that catches on in Film Schools or something.  Then I could possibly be the first to have said it.

7 comments:

midnight rider said...

Dude, ya got to be more careful with them beer bottles. . .

Pastorius said...

This guy is not a drinker.

Does that make him smarter, or stupider than you and I?

;-)

midnight rider said...

Actually, the beer bottle quip was aimed at your chipped tooth ;) Have you seen the "Don't buzz drive" commercial where the drunk chick knocks out a tooth on a beer bottle and laughs about it?

As for stupider or smarter, the jury's still out on that one. . .

Pastorius said...

Oh, I see.

No, I have not seen that commercial.

I cracked a tooth in the back of my mouth.

Fun, fun, fun.

midnight rider said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfVJ0CNVnMM

Pastorius said...

Yeah, that has never happened to me.

Though I did chip a tooth during sex once. I'm not going to tell you that story.

midnight rider said...

I'm not sure I'd want to hear it. . .