Friday, August 24, 2012

Buddy Rich Big Band In Concert, 1978

Buddy is great.

And, you gotta check out Steve Marcus on Soprano and Tenor Sax, and Barry Keiner on Piano.

This was probably Buddy's best band ever.

 

There's a beautiful version of Round Midnight (Steve Marcus on Sax) just after the 31 minute mark. If you know the history of the BR Big Band, the Sax solo is even more evidently brilliant, as it is an ongoing conversation Steve Marcus had with the brilliant Monk song over the course of years; endless reinventions of the melody and the melodies within the melody.

Steve Marcus is an under-appreciated genius in the history of Jazz Saxophone.

Birdland is right after Round Midnight. It is smokin'. Steve Marcus kicks ass on the Soprano Sax.

5 comments:

bkaye said...

That's me (Bob Kaye) on piano, not Barry. Also my chart "Grand Concourse".

bkaye said...

That was me (Bob Kaye) on piano, also my chart "Grand Concourse."

Pastorius said...

Nice.

So did you play in the band right before Barry Keiner?

I probably saw you at Disneyland. I would have been the tiny blonde kid sitting on the ground right in front of Buddy.

bkaye said...

I followed Barry, then Barry followed me!

Pastorius said...

I would imagine this was a hard band to work in. There had to have been a lot of "personalities" to deal with.

But the brilliant playing must have made it all worth it. Or at least I hope so.

:)