Sunday, January 20, 2013


“I am told I will hang for my faith in Jesus,” says American pastor who faces death sentence in Iran

From Bare Naked Islam:

Telegraph  An American Christian pastor faces a possible death sentence in Iran after prosecutors accused him of harming national security on charges he and his supporters claim amount to religious persecution.

imagesSaeed Abedini, 32, who is Iranian born, is expected to go on trial next week before a revolutionary tribunal in Tehran in a hearing presided over by a judge blacklisted by the European Union for handing down harsh verdicts. His wife, Najmeh, says he has suffered beatings during interrogation and has expressed fears for his life in letters to her. ”This is the process in my life today: one day I am told I will be freed and allowed to see my kids on Christmas (which was a lie) and the next day I am told I will hang for my faith in Jesus,” Mr Abedini, a father-of-two, wrote in one letter. “One day there are intense pains after beatings in interrogations, the next day they are nice to you and offer you candy.”

The origins of the charges against Mr Abdini are not clear. But the American Centre for Law and Justice, a Christian advocacy group founded by the evangelist preacher, Pat Robertson, said it was connected with starting a home church movement.

PastorHannity-500x281

Harming national security is a capital crime under Iran’s legal statute. Critics say it is vaguely defined and used to suppress opponents of the country’s Islamic regime. Mr Abdini, who converted to Christianity at the age of 20, was building an orphanage near the city of Rasht on the Caspian Sea, fuelled by a belief that the Bible teaches helping widows and orphans, according to his wife.

Mr Abidini had travelled to Iran nine times since his detention before being arrested again. “He had no worries that he would be arrested, believing that he kept his end of the promise and that the government would keep their end,” she told AFP.

He has not had access to a lawyer since being re-arrested, she added. Mr Abdini is expected to be tried by Abbas Pir-Abassi, a judge subject to EU sanctions for human rights violations after sentencing several activists to death.


9 comments:

Nicoenarg said...

If I decide to go to Pakistan because I'm a stupid moron who thinks Muslims keeps their word, and then get my @$$ arrested, please leave me there to rot because it is my own idiotic, trusting self who's responsible for getting my idiotic @$$ in trouble.

Muslims are animals, thinking they do anything logical is freakin stupid. Not saying this guy deserves it but he should have seen it coming and stayed in the US.

Pastorius said...

Wait, didn't he go because he wanted to help people to hear the Word of God?

I mean that is a positive motive. I admire that.

I am with you in one way, however. I think he ought not expect any help from the government. He put himself in danger. If Christians want to help him out, that is great. But he deserves no official help.

Nicoenarg said...

I agree with you that his motives are admirable. However that still doesn't warrant stupid behavior.

Would I not like it if people in Pakistan left Islam for Christ? Of course I would but I'm not about to go to Pakistan to do that. I'm not an idiot. All these years in Muslim countries and I've seen that the most effective way of reaching the Muslims is the Internet and radio, etc. not personal relationships.

Personal relationships are too dangerous and no one thinks, "ah this infidel is so caring " right off the bat.

I believe we should share Christ with people but I also believe suicide is stupid.

I probably wasn't clear but it's his decision to trust the Iranians were going to leave him alone and then when he got arrested his baffled statements that they wanna kill him for Christ that pissed me off. I mean how dumb do you have to be to think that in this day and age.

You know?

Pastorius said...

I wouldn't do it. But, I admire people who risk their lives for noble causes, and this is among the noblest of causes.

Nicoenarg said...

I agree with you there Pasto. I think I'm just a little too skeptical right now and a little too angry!

Pastorius said...

Oh oh, you're starting to get like me.

I'm so angry at "America" these days that I can't not even be nice to people who want to talk to me about it.

Nicoenarg said...

Hehe. You're rubbing off on me.

christian soldier said...

video states that he is Iran-am I wrong here?--
I'm on two sides here- we have trade w/ Iran-
\He did place himself in harm's way-
He is an US citizen- do we leave US to rot ...

Carol-CS

Epaminondas said...

The spark that ignites a fire has no idea what it will do. It's motive is irrelevant.

There is ultimately NO WAY that govt will ALLOW us to live in peace with them unless we retreat from every issue they challenge us on.

And others will be watching.