Friday, April 21, 2006

Andrew Bostom on FPM

Andrew Bostom provides a summary of Islam’s imperialist roots in another of his comprehensive articles. In the 1930s we had a decade to learn about Nazism. By the time of the communist conquest of Eastern Europe we had three decades to learn about the communist threat. Islam has a 14 century history of conquest and oppression. There's no excuse for the continued ignorance of one of histories most lethal threats to civilization.

For those new to this venue who need a recommended reading list, consider these books and articles.

2 comments:

Pastorius said...

Good idea. Maybe we can put a reading list in the sidebar.

Jason Pappas said...

I find different books reach different people and I usually tailor the book to the intended reader.

I find all the books on my list excellent but oddly enough some people are turned off by Ibn Warraq’s secularism and others are turned off by Robert Spencer’s constant comparisons with Christianity. Others find Trifkovic’s paleo-conservative (he writes for Buchanan’s magazines) and his pan-Slavic sympathies problematic.

I find all of these writers excellent on Islam. I think it’s a shame that some can’t learn from authors from whom one has differences. I actually find Spencer’s comparisons very helpful regardless of one’s religion if any. Warraq only makes passing references to his problem with religion in general. Trifkovic stays on topic and doesn’t bring in his politics. Etc.

If I had the time I’d read (and most likely recommend) Craig Winn, Mark Gabriel, Mark Alexander, Anis Shorrosh, etc.

For blogs and websites, Ken has an excellent list on his right hand column. Truth Project and Sixth Column has blogs and blooks.

My list starts with a minimal 4 introductory books and a few web-links. Any of these four books are great to get started.

If I had time I’d also explain what is wrong with the Karen Armstrong and John Esposito books. I found it useful to read all sides in the beginning before deciding who’s got it right.

I think from time to time we should put in a passing reference for the 1st time reader who stumbles across our blog. A blog can't substitute for a good book. But it can be a conduit to good books, good blogs, and good interent resources.