Tuesday, October 08, 2013

I was told I'd have to wear a hijab, I said 'I don't think so': Today programme's first Muslim presenter on why she won't wear the veil

I won't wear a veil, 
but yeah, 
go ahead and put the gays and apostates to death

  • Mishal Husain, 40, was told to cover her face by Muslim train passenger
  • She is the first Muslim to present BBC Radio 4's Today programme
  • Cambridge-educated journalist said Koran didn't order women to wear garment 
  • Comments reignite row about wearing of the veil in British society

From the Daily Mail:
The first Muslim journalist to present Radio 4’s flagship current affairs programme has vowed never to wear a veil. Mishal Husain - who joined the Today programme this morning - recalled the moment she was accosted by a fellow Muslim while boarding a train who told her she will soon have to adopt the face covering hijab. 
She said: ‘He complimented me on my work and then said, “But you’ll have to wear a hijab one day.” 
“I don’t think so,” I replied.’ The Cambridge-educated journalist, 40, is the latest high-profile public figure to intervene in the debate about whether the veil is an acceptable item of clothing in Britain. 
A row over the acceptability of full-face coverings was sparked last month when a Muslim defendant in a court case insisted on wearing the veil during her trial. 
In September, a judge ordered her to take off the garment to give evidence. But the case made British legal history because Judge Peter Murphy said the woman could retain the veil for all other parts of her trial. 
Last month, David Cameron was accused of Islamophobia after he backed a college’s controversial decision to ban pupils wearing the full facial veil for security reasons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, she REALLY should be wearing a veil...

Nicoenarg

PS: The Quran actually says women should be covered.

Pastorius said...

Aesthetically speaking, I'm glad she's not wearing a veil.