Saturday, December 27, 2008

New York Times: Vast Majority of Those Killed In Gaza Are Hamas Police And Security Men

From Carl in Jersusalem:

... the New York Times is confirming that the 'vast majority' of those killed are Hamas police and security men (Hat Tip:Memeorandum).
A military operation against Hamas, the militant group that controls Gaza, had been forecast and demanded by Israeli officials for weeks, ever since a rocky cease-fire between Israel and Hamas broke down completely in early November and rocket attacks began in large numbers against Israel. Still, there was a shocking quality to Saturday’s attacks, in broad daylight on about 100 sites, as police cadets were graduating, women were shopping at the outdoor market and children were emerging from school.

The center of Gaza City instantly became a scene of chaotic horror, with rubble everywhere, sirens wailing, and women shrieking as dozens of mutilated bodies were laid out on the pavement and in the lobby of Shifa Hospital so that family members could identify them. The vast majority of those killed were Hamas police officers and security men, including two senior commanders, but the dead included several construction workers and at least two children in school uniforms.

Then, there's this, from Reliapundit at the Astute Bloggers:

SURPRISE COUNTER-STRIKE ON HAMAS: OVER 50 KEY HAMAS TARGETS HIT MULTIPLE TIMES IN UNDER 4 MINUTES
THAT'S WHAT I JUST HEARD ON FOX.

HERE'S HOW THEY PLANNED IT: Disinformation, secrecy, deception: How the Gaza offensive came about
Long-term preparation, careful gathering of information, secret discussions, operational deception and the misleading of the public - all these stood behind the Israel Defense Forces "Cast Lead" operation against Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip, which began Saturday morning.

The disinformation effort, according to defense officials, took Hamas by surprise and served to significantly increase the number of its casualties in the strike.

Sources in the defense establishment said Defense Minister Ehud Barak instructed the Israel Defense Forces to prepare for the operation over six months ago, even as Israel was beginning to negotiate a ceasefire agreement with Hamas. According to the sources, Barak maintained that although the lull would allow Hamas to prepare for a showdown with Israel, the Israeli army needed time to prepare, as well.

Barak gave orders to carry out a comprehensive intelligence-gathering drive which sought to map out Hamas' security infrastructure, along with that of other militant organizations operating in the Strip.

This intelligence-gathering effort brought back information about permanent bases, weapon silos, training camps, the homes of senior officials and coordinates for other facilities.

The plan of action that was implemented in Operation Cast Lead remained only a blueprint until a month ago, when tensions soared after the IDF carried out an incursion into Gaza during the ceasefire to take out a tunnel which the army said was intended to facilitate an attack by Palestinian militants on IDF troops.

On November 19, following dozens of Qassam rockets and mortar rounds which exploded on Israeli soil, the plan was brought for Barak's final approval. Last Thursday, on December 18, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and the defense minister met at IDF headquarters in central Tel Aviv to approve the operation.

6 comments:

Michael Travis said...

Tsk, tsk.

Pastorius said...

Today is a great day.

Carlos Echevarria said...

God Bless the IDF...smash those Islamo Fascist scumbags!

Epaminondas said...

And the world will be a better, for you, for me,,,,,...put a little love in your heart (for HUMANITY) and KILL THE REST of these mass murdering genocidal ....

Pastorius said...

I like that. It's catchy.

This is what we should be doing everyday in Waziristan.

Tonto said...

Rock and Roll Israel!! LOOOONG OVERDUE!!!!