Sunday, September 28, 2008

British Tories Reject Sharia Courts

From Refuge Resettlement Watch:


A Conservative government would ban sharia courts and impose a tough crackdown on Islamic extremism, the shadow security minister has said.  [A shadow minister is the person in the party out of power who will take that position if the party gains power.] Pauline Neville-Jones, a former head of the Joint Intelligence Committee, said: “We are not going to have any status for sharia courts. Absolutely not.”  

Earlier this month it emerged that the Government had quietly allowed rulings of five sharia courts across Britain to be enforceable through the county courts or High Court.

Speaking the day after Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, said Britain had “done something terrible to ourselves” by encouraging multiculturalism, Lady Neville-Jones said that the Conservatives would make the case for more “integration” among all British people, whatever their backgrounds.

She said: “We want unity and opportunity, despite difference, through integration.”

She accused the Government of leading the country down the “blind alley of multiculturalism, which has deliberately gone down the road of separation for its own sake.”

Lady Neville-Jones said there was also a clear divide between the Tories and Labour on the question of how to deal with the spread of extremism among some young Muslims.

16 comments:

Damien said...

Pastorius,

I'm glad at least one of the major parties in Briton has its head screwed on correctly, and isn't more worried about getting Muslims votes than protecting their country.

Pastorius said...

Damien,
Yes, me too. I don't recall the Tories ever taking such a stand before. This is awesome news.

Watcher said...

Multiculturalism is a cancer to society. If you don't do away with it, you'll get "rewarded" with multiple 9/11s, 7/7s and 3/11s.

Damien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damien said...

Watcher,

Off course I know what 9/11 was, and I also know what 7/7 was, but what was 3/11? I'm sorry, can't remember.

Noah Boddie said...

>Off course I know what 9/11 was, and I also know what 7/7 was, but what was 3/11? I'm sorry, can't remember.

The Madrid bombing.

Damien said...

Korla,

Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

The Conservatives have a reputation for being all talk and no action, and as changeable as the British weather, eg Boris Johnson, the Conservative mayor of London, whose opinions on Islam have done U-turn since he came to power:

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2008/9/26/boris-reassures-muslims-of-his-support.html

Ray Boyd said...

Pastorius: didn't you see my post earlier today: http://ibloga.blogspot.com/2008/09/another-glimmer-of-hope.html
where this subject was covered and more. The post was more or less ignored. Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered.

Pastorius said...

Ray,
No, I didn't see it.

Sorry about that.

I've been so busy lately, I'm not getting to spend much time in front of the computer which means I end up missing a lot of stuff.

I apologize.

Pastorius said...

Ray,

I also need to mention that this happens all the time here at IBA. Quite often, two people will put up the same story on the same day, or on succeeding days. I always let both stories stand, because I figure each person brings their own take on it, and this is an opinion blog, as well as an informational blog.

Ray Boyd said...

pastorius: I think I should take account of the time difference and post later, the early posts are swamped and usually ignored.

Pastorius said...

That's true.

Also, I've noticed - and this is something I have learned from posting our articles at other websites - that the easiest way to get people to read something is to include a direct relationship to thetopic of the story, in the post title.

People who read blogs don't seem to care about artful titles.

They are, often, motivated by a display of emotion.

The title of this post has no emotion in it, but I do try to include emotion in a lot of my titles.

Also, something I learned from Advertising (cuz that's my profession) is people pay attention when something stokes their fear or sexual desire.

Just some thoughts. Really this is stuff all of us can use.

Damien said...

Anonymous,

Even if the conservative have done one one eighties in the past, the fact that they are speaking out now, is still better than nothing. It is far better than them being silent.

Damien said...

Sorry about the extra "one"