Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ayaan Hirsi Ali Is My Hero

Watch this video and see why. Watch, as Avi Lewis, a liberal Canadian, interviews Hirsi Ali, and scoffs at her critique of Islam, and her notions of Democracy in general, and America in specific.





Now, if you are interested, listen to this interview with my wife, as she tells about her move to America, as a little girl, and she and I talk about some of the American immigrants we know personally, who have become fabulously wealthy.

This idea that there is no more opportunity in America really burns me, because as a man who is married to a first-generation immigrant, I have seen the evidence of America's opportunity first-hand.

Think back on Hirsi Ali's answer to Avi Lewis:

"You can spit on Democracy, because you had the luxury of growing up in its freedoms."

Yes, that's true. Too many of us have become cynical, and ungrateful for what we have.

8 comments:

KG said...

I'd be tempted to say that Hirsi Ali handed Lewis his cjones on a platter--but that would be assuming he had some in the first place, eh?

KG said...

"cojones" dammit.
More coffee needed here.

Pastorius said...

I didn't even comment on that aspect of the interview. It was pretty funny in that sense, wasn't it?

And, she does it in such a calm feminine manner.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you Americans drinking the dregs of Dutch beer. We in the Netherlands wouldn't put up with this woman who told lies and jumped immigration queues. You can have her.

I look forward to seeing you dump her when you learn what her views are on abortion and creation science are.

Pastorius said...

Wait, your name isn't also "Irfan" by any chance, is it?

al fin said...

No, Jon, we will never get enough of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She is magnificent!

Pastorius said...

I'm sure I wouldn't agree with everything in which Hirsi Ali believes.

But then, I don't agree with many Americans on many different things.

Gee, to think we Americans are tolerant of differences. I thought we were incapable of living with nuance and dissonance, you know, cuz we lack subtelty, and to be frank, intelligence.

Right Jon?

Pastorius said...

That is true for the most part, Anonymous.

The average Muslim does a lot better than most of the other immigrants into our country.