Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yemen: 8-year-old girl demands a divorce because she wants to "have a respectful life"

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser, 8, went to court by herself in Yemen.


Nasser (8-year-old) complained about her husband's behavior.

He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them. … Whenever I wanted to play in the yard he beat me and asked me to go to the bedroom with him. This lasted for two months. He was too tough with me, and whenever I asked him for mercy, he beat me and slapped me and then used me. I just want to have a respectful life and divorce him.

The husband:
Thamer is unrepentant but willing to be flexible: "Yes, I was intimate with her, but I have done nothing wrong, as she is my wife and I have the right and no one can stop me. But if the judge or other people insist that I divorce her, I will do it, it's ok."
Just following Mohammed...

8 comments:

Epaminondas said...

Note the progressive papers, tv stations and blog sites headlining these stories.

{/sarc off}

Always On Watch said...

That poor child! Being targeted like that? It's beyond disgusting.

The media will not tell this story. Mustn't be "islamophobic," I guess. But the media yap on and on about that polygamy compound in Texas.

Epaminondas said...

OMG.... if you want to see true stupidity, read the ignorance in the comments about this story HERE

Unknown said...

anonymous: Hahaha... me neither... /sarc off/.

Epa: Oh, yeahh, where have you seen it?? /more sarc off/

Oh, no, in Spain I have seen it in a paper. But apart from that I have seen it nowhere. :(

AOW: Of course. And it's disgusting. We will see what happens because, as she is a minor, she could be considered as NOT able to denounce anyone, less than anyone her husband.

What was really surprising for me, was that someone so young had understood so well, that the treatment her "husband" was giving her was not respectful. I mean, there are grown-up women who would not have dared to make that statement...

Epa: I have read them... Well, each day that passes, each day I am more convinced, we are in deep shit. But not because of Islamism/Islam/Jihadism (or how you want to call it), only because of our own stupidity...

Oh, and other thing: this case is news (or has been reported) because she has been brave enough to run away. But how many minors are in the same situation in Yemen and in another countries of the area without anyone knowing they are been subjected to this same treatment?

Pastorius said...

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries!"
Winston Churchill

Christine said...

Wonder how many in the LOON party, share this sick & ignorant attitude?

You have to remember what is not normal in our country may be noramal in another. This is normal in their country, in American someone would be charged with rape and another with endangering a minor. We can't enfringe or beliefs on other cultures especially if we are NOT in their country, even if it maybe wrong

Epaminondas said...

Well Christine, if that total jackass is correct, then I guess it's no sweat in Darfur since raping and killing each other is a local custom, and I guess we should have just backed off at Dayton since Serbs and Bosnians engaged in mutual slaughter is just local custom, and I guess, well in the ME, we just give Israel a free hand and advise them to follow the local custom.

Can you believe how massive the ignorance is?

We're doomed.

Pastorius said...

Amazingly enough, even Christians don't care when Christians are offed by Muslims in a Holy War.