Monday, December 04, 2006

Kofi Annan, Statistician

Iraq worse than under Saddam, says UN chief

Kofi Annan today bitterly criticised the Iraq war, saying Iraqis suffered greater fear than under Saddam Hussein.

The United Nations Secretary General said the level of violence was "much worse than in civil wars that were fought in Lebanon and other places. Asked in a BBC interview if Iraqis were worse off, he replied: "I think they are ... in the sense of the average Iraqi's life.

"If I were an average Iraqi obviously I would make the same comparison-They had a dictator who was brutal but they had their streets. They could go out, their kids could go to school and come back home without a mother or father worrying, 'Am I going to see my child again?'."

Deaths in Rwandan Civil war = 800,000
Deaths in Darfur (so far) = 200,000+
Deaths in Cambodia Pol Pot = 2.1 MILLION

Oh, and these people had their streets?
mass_grave.jpg
kurds_halabja.jpg

No comments: